Thursday, December 16

my pup

It's amazing what a four-legged being can do. As much as I love our puppy, Maupin, there are times where I just don't know why I would EVER choose to have a wild beast living under my roof! In one week, she ate: 1 lb of salt water taffy, 1 large bad of dutch licorice, 1 tub of sour cream, 1 lb of uncooked ground beef, and 10 candy canes hanging on our tree (and of course all the wrappers too!). She has successfully destoryed: a lint brush, a tennis shoe, 2 tupperware containers, our bed (which she chose to make hers while we're out), and our christmas tree (at least each day we come home there's a dust-pan-full-worth of pine needles covering our wood floor.
As hard as it is to come home and know something is going to be destroyed, it's also beautiful to know that she'll be there. She cowers low to the ground as you slowly peer through every room and the backyard knowthing that something will be right around the corner. And there is. And she takes a little slap and then wags her tail and waits for me to call her because it's a time she waits for all day I just know...her walk
And then one day you come home and, miraculously, there's nothing! Some days I come home anticipating the worst disaster, and she's done nothing! Those are the days, today being one of them, that I sit on the ground, rub her belly, and tell her how proud I am to be her mama. Amidst all the madness and horrible, terrible, no good, very bad things she does, she's still my pup! I guess that's how a parent feels about their child. They can mess up over and over again, but you love 'em none-the-less.

No comments:

older posts