Monday, March 17

Fallas

15 marzo 2008 Laughs. Yesterday was a really fun day. A group of 6 of students went to Valencia for the day to see the Mesquetta (spelling?) for Fallas. There were thousands of people squished in this little city square, listening to a 5 minute symphony of really big, loud, colorful firecrackers. The feeling is indescribable. You can feel the BOOMS in your chest. We were warned before we went that many people blow out their ear drums going to this, so Linds, Katie, and I made sure to bring our ear plugs, yet STILL the sound was incredible! After, we took ourselves on a tour through Valencia, which is, by the way, a gorgeous city. wow. We walked in the riverbed, which has been changed into a 3 mile long park, to the Museum of Arts and Sciences and City Music Hall. Both buildings were quite a work of art. It was a beautiful, sunny day, so we decided to take a little snooze on the park bench. Mmm… I rushed back from the train station to make my dinner date with my “barrio” (the people in my plaza). This group of about 20 people has become like a family to me. I am so reminded with every unruly comment made about The Den Hartigh Clan. I feel 100% comfortable with acting crazy, loud, blunt etc with this group. The past two dinners have been a trip. Lydia, a 35 year old, plump ball of joy, always makes me sit next to her and teaches me all the slang terms she can come up with. Of course, I have to repeat her like I am “her little monkey” (as Maite said), and we all laugh so hard. My cheeks were literally sore from laughter. What a great pain to have. Because they speak Valenciano (more like Italian than Spanish), Lydia is also my translator if I am not getting a story. For the most part though I understand and if someone talks to me, it is always in Castellano (the “Spanish” we all know). Luis and Rosuita are my favorite couple. Luis, a retired fisherman (which has to say a bit about his character…if you’re not sure, think Nico!!) and his wife Rosuita, the cook and “overseer” of all the happenings (who reminds me, as she eyes her husbands extreme behavior of my mother), have a beautifully attractive relationship. I love watching them interact and laugh and scold and bicker. It takes me home in a heartbeat. Until the Fallas are burned next Wednesday night, Denia will be a loud city all day and all night long. Fireworks, screaming kids, loudspeakers, choirs, dancing in the street, loud “Lydia” laughs, motorcyclists/4wheeler-ers etc. will be heard throughout. Alright, enough. Here are some pictures.

Behind us: Music Hall in Valencia




The crowd at the Mascleta:

Lindsay plugging her ears

explosion of firecrackers


Example of a "Falla"--Last night on the news I saw that this Falla had actually blown over due to windy conditions.

A different Falla

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a riot, Ev! Literally, it sounds like. I'm glad to hear you're having such a great time with all the people in your plaza. Such an amazingly unforgettable experience! And even having the feeling of a little bit of home, in the people you have met. A great reward, for sure. Beautiful music hall. Little Flamenco show or anything? Probably no time for that, huh? Thanks for your awesome post again.
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

*big smile*
what an amazing experience!
keep taking it all in and taking advantage of every opportunity there--but i don't have to tell YOU that!! :) Keep up the fun!
love and miss you mucho!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Groetjes Hans

older posts