Saturday, January 19

the simple life.

Today was a perfect day. My friend, Lindsay, and I climbed Denia's Mt. Montgo. It was a bit scary due to the slippery rocks, a skinny path, and a steep incline on unstable pebbles, but it was totally worth it. The scenery was incredible.

The past few days I have been starting to find my routine. I wake up at 7am, make myself a cup of coffee, get ready for school, go to school at 9:30am until 1pm, go home to eat lunch with Maite, my "mama", we sit and watch TV (which I can't understand) and take naps. I wake up still full, go for a run at 3:30pm with Linds, play volleyball or soccer with other students, come home, shower and do homework. I have definately felt a change in lifestyle, something I thought would be hard for me, yet one I am actually learning to embrace. That is "having time".

Time is a lifestyle change that I am getting used to. It takes time, 15 minutes to be exact, for me to get to school (and that much to return). It takes time to actually sit and do my homework. It takes time to sit and eat lunch, and time to enjoy a long siesta afterwards. I enjoy this time: unscheduled, yet organized, not busy, hectic or demanding, but rather active and somewhat uneventful. I have grown to cherish time in front of a television I don’t understand and a mama who talks too fast. I am trying my darndest to put together her words and phrases in order to formulate sentences that actually make sense to me. I have learned that this takes time. I have learned that picking up after yourself is an extremely time-consuming task as well, yet, a necessary one (especially living in such small quarters). If I forget to shut the door while leaving the bathroom, or put my cup in the sink versus the dishwasher, or if I place my bag on my bed before I go down to sleep, there is a certain disorder that does not feel right. I should have listened to my mom when she was trying to teach me to be neat--oops...I'm learning though!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you're amazing! :)
love you and miss you, but I know you are doing well.
daily prayers,
Lo

-Drew said...

I like the pics. I hope you continue to learn through everyday life in Spain. When did you start writing in fragments like Rob Bell?

Anonymous said...

Hi Evie,

Like I said before you did a lot of things in such a short period of time. Chrerisch it because when life kicks in your gonna mis this time. With love Hans in 't Hout

see you soon ;)

older posts